I Moved

I invite you to visit my blog's new home at:

http://www.leahsaylorabney.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Week Four - My Sentence(s)

I'm really having some fun now. My Muse is slowly starting to emerge from her hole. Oh, during the exercise to personify my Muse, I discovered she is currently (and this is taken directly from my scribbles in the margin while I was reading the lesson for the first time) a grumpy troll with warts who shapeshifts into a lovely young woman when she (1) gets her way, (2) has something to tell me or (3) runs into one of my daydreams about Josh Hartnett. I'm trying to give her the color yellow, but I don't think she likes that one too much. I'll settle for the brief shouting sessions I've gotten the last few days over some yellow flag waving around in there that I can hardly see. Maybe if I wrapped Josh in the yellow flag...

Anywho, back to getting my ideas into one really awesome sentence. Yeah, that's tricky. I have to really get to the nitty gritty of what I'm hearing and really ask those important questions to get my Muse to clarify what she's trying to tell me. Not easy. So I'm working on writing the sentence for my first idea and the process has gone like this (again these are taken directly from my handwritten chicken scratches made while reading through the material):

"A life hangs in the balance, trapped between worlds, in the unlikeliest of vessels--my cat."

I realized this didn't sound great, or even good, so I kept at the old troll. "Unlikeliest, is that even a word," I asked her. Shrugs are all I got in response.

"A soul hangs in the balance, trapped between worlds within a trustworthy transporter, my cat, and finds family she'd wished for her whole life or so she thought."

Meh, still not jiving. So at it we went again after a few more questions.

"A sickly orphan's soul hinges on the decision of the Queen's feline companions and finds family where she least expected or wanted."

Yeah, I'm still working it through. I still see it when I close my eyes, not the whole story worked out from beginning to end, but I see my main character, the antagonist, the antagonist's minions, the ethical dilemma that creature has to wrestle with and the twist. I just can't see the conclusion just yet. But it's there. I can almost make it out through my Muse's foggy room of ideas. Her hole runs deep so I might need binoculars if I don't coax her to share some more info today.

No comments:

Post a Comment